Pigeons are prevalent in Las Vegas and we all have to deal with them, whether you think they are a nuisance or you don’t mind them. With these little creatures disease can sometimes be spread.
Pigeons cause human disease because they carry close to 60 pathogens. Luckily, the transmission of these pathogens is not very high. There are three diseases that can be given to humans and at a low rate. That being said, certain groups of people should keep a safe distance from pigeons – people with compromised immune systems, cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, people living with HIV and other autoimmune diseases.
The diseases that can be transmitted to humans are:
- This is spread from the pigeon droppings when they dry out. They become airborne and then can be breathed into human’s lungs. An infected person may have symptoms of fever, fatigue and chest pains, but it is more common to not have any symptoms.
- This disease is similar to hitoplasmosis.
- Psittacosis is different in that it is a bacterial infection that can turn into pneumonia. Once a person is infected, it has not been discovered that they can transmit the disease to another human.
- coli. This occurs when bird droppings land in water and then consumed by humans. This can be avoided by washing food thoroughly before eating. Symptoms include nausea, fever and cramps
- Louis Encephalitis. This disease is spread by mosquitos after they feed on a bird that carries the pathogen that spreads St. Louis encephalitis. This inflammation of the nervous system is most dangerous to adults over 60 years old. Symtoms include drowsiness, headache and fever.
If you have pigeons on your property, proper removal of the pigeon droppings is crucial for lowering the risk of contracting these diseases. Make sure this task is done properly and hire a professional pigeon control company to help you.
After contacting a pest control company, the following steps will be taken to address your issue:
- The specific bird species must be identified
- The level of infestation must be determined – from minimal to severe
- The specific locations must be pinpointed – tower, parapet, gutter, ceiling or more
- The structure’s materials must be identified – wood, vinyl, steel, stucco, shingle
- The proper access equipment will be determined such as ladders, lifts, cranes, scaffolding etc.
- The area will be assessed for other physical restrictions such as trees, wires and ground condition
- Proper permitting may need to be obtained and cleanup responsibilities established.
- The appropriate bird deterrent or repellant will be recommended – spikes, netting, sound deterrents to electric track.
- Warranty information and pricing proposal will be given.
At American Pest Control, we have been successfully controlling pigeons for over 50 years. We are happy to help you get your home back to a clean and pigeon-free environment. Give us a call at 702-382-6366 today to get your free estimate or check out our page on pigeon control.